Artist: Bartolomeo di Tommaso da Foligno
Date: 1450 Dimensions: 284 x 234 cm
Materials: Tempera and gilt on poplar wood panels
Inventory Number: 40296
Formerly in the collegiate church of San Venanzio in Camerino, Marche, and donated by Prince Altieri to Pope Leo XIII in 1888, the work consists of three panels executed in tempera and fitted with a richly carved and gilded frame, featuring the trigram IHS (center), the Announcing Angel (left), and the Virgin Annunciate (right). The triptych’s central panel depicts the Coronation of the Virgin, characterized by a highly theatrical polychrome mandorla and musician angels at the bottom. The two side panels illustrate the Nativity of Jesus (left) and the Adoration of the Magi (right), both scenes marked by a convincing and intimate naturalism. The author of the painting is Bartolomeo di Tommaso da Foligno, an eclectic and original painter deeply influenced by the manner of Gentile da Fabriano and the Sienese Giovanni di Paolo.
State of Preservation
Since its execution, the painted panels have always demonstrated stability problems and causal lifting of the preparatory and pictorial film. Also, due to recent periods of particularly low ambient relative humidity, there are numerous and very serious lifts of the preparatory and pictorial film that have worsened its overall condition requiring several types of urgent interventions.
- Anoxic treatment and consolidation of wood (panels and frames)
- Consolidation of the painted surface
- Revision of the rehabilitation of the wooden support and parquetry
- Revision and modification of the attachment system of the framing elements on the panels
- Identification of the insulation system of the back of the support to avoid environmental interactions
- Revision of the filling of the gaps and pictorial reintegration with watercolor and varnish colors that correspond to the gaps in the raised or missing parts, and a final varnish
Total Cost: € 50.744,80 $ 54,225.89 R